Saturday, June 13, 2015

Under His Wings

Luke 13:34
…as a hen doth gather her brood under her wings…


My pastor while preaching one Sunday morning shared with the congregation a frightening experience he encountered as a child on the family farm. In the early morning hours as he turned over in his bed, he noticed a bright orange glow outside his bedroom window. Jumping to his feet to investigate this unusual light, he ran to his window and saw the barn on fire. He rushed to his parent’s room, woke them up, and told him what was happening. His father along with his older brothers rushed to the barn to release the livestock. Later that morning, while looking over the damage, he noticed the charred remains of his prized hen. When he removed the lifeless body, three little chicks emerged unscathed protected by a mothers love. 

Most parents understand this type of selfless love. When a little one is sick with fever, they will spend sleepless nights trying to comfort them, and if necessary take them to a doctor no matter the cost. Some will risk their own life to save that of their child. A mother while giving birth to a baby walks through the valley of the shadow of death for the one she loves. On occasion, a loved one will donate an organ, to give life back to their precious loved one. 

There have been times in my life when I wasn’t aware of the dangers that surrounded me. Hidden traps the enemy had waiting for me, hoping to entangle me in his snare. The master deceiver unleashed an arsenal of weapons trying to destroy me. He tried to crush my character, demolish my family, take the life of the ones I love, and attacked my faith in Him. During these times of uncertainty, I found comfort under His wings. Jesus is the hen that takes me under His wings, protecting me during the fiery trials of my life.

As a child of God, are you facing trials and dangers in your life? Do you feel that the devil has you in his sights? Is the pressure becoming insurmountable? Do you feel like giving up? Run to the out stretched arms of Jesus. He’s waiting to place you under his wings, and protect you from all harm. His love to protect us was proven on the cross of Calvary.


By Louis Edwards 

1 comment:

  1. Love this post and especially the idea of being able to hunker down in respite under the Mighty wings of God. Sometimes life gets so tense that we need a safe haven. Seeking God and settling under His protection, love, and grace gives us the strength to go back into the world and tackle all the Evil One has to throw at us. We do this because we have the knowledge of God's faithfulness. What a grand glory to know our God is who He says He is and will do what He says He will do.

    ReplyDelete